Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Red Candle

"It was summertime, very hot and dusty outside, and I could hear cicadas crying in the yard. We were under some trees in our orchard. The servants and my brothers were picking high above me. And I was sitting in my mother's hot, sticky arms." This quote is an example of imagery because it uses words that appeal to the senses. It is used to describe the weather and the feelings of Lindo Jong.

"Over the next few years, Huang Taitai instructed the other servants to teach me how to sew sharp corners on pillowcases and to embroider my future family's name. How can a wife keep her husband's household in order if she has never dirtied her own hands, Huang Taitai used to say as she introduced me to a new task. I don't think Huang Taitai ever soiled her hands but she was very good at calling out orders and criticism." In this quote, Amy Tan tells how Lindo Jong is treated by her future mother-in-law. She is forced to do housework like a servant and is not shown any affection. Lindo Jong is only given criticism and more work.

Her situation is similar to that of Cinderella at the hands of her step-mother and step-sisters. She also was forced to do all of the chores like a servant. Both Lindo Jong and Cinderella were treated badly by their adoptive families. Cinderella

No comments:

Post a Comment